Our reviews are updated weekly.  Please check back every Friday for our latest and greatest.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bad Albert's Tap and Grill - Bar and Grill

Bad Albert’s Tap and Grill

Dining Category: Bar and Grill

Price: $

Address: 5100 Ballard Ave NW, Seattle (Ballard)

Phone Number: 206-782-9623

Website: www.badalberts.com




Overview:

Don’t let appearances deceive -- the innocuous and generic-looking exterior is just as plain as the interior, but this bar has it where it counts: the kitchen.  Although we’ve listed this under a Bar and Grill category it would be fair to say it could almost be called a southern seafood joint in addition to the bar fare.




Food: Big Fat Greek Salad; Shrimp Louie Sandwich, Cole Slaw, Deep Fried Zucchini




B:  We had found Bad Albert’s by randomly clicking on reviews of the nearby area, and I was stunned that this place that looked like such a dive was getting such stellar word-of-mouth.  You can add our praise to the list - this place delivers.  I ordered the greek salad with cajun shrimp and was totally satisfied with the sizable portion, big chunks of cucumber, spicy shrimp and ample amounts of olives and pepperoncini.




G:  To be honest, the first time we pulled up to Bad Albert’s, we almost turned around and walked the other way.  I am so glad that we decided to take the risk and head inside.  I ordered the Shrimp Louie sandwich and I enjoyed every bite.  As you can see from the picture, I managed to get in a few bites before I even realized I forgot to take a picture - yes it was that good!  The bread was toasted just right, there was a tangy white cheddar cheese and every bite was delicious.  I wouldn’t have minded the sandwich being a little on the drier side, but no major complaints.  I also had a side of cole slaw which is done exceptionally well there.  It isn’t too heavy on the mayo and has a nice dill flavor added to it, which is what made it really memorable.


B:  That sandwich really was awesome, I had more than a couple bites of it myself.  The slaw that Gina mentioned is some of the best in town, and we also had a side of fried zucchini which was done perfectly with a fancy-nice cornmeal crust.  Seriously, every single thing we had was tops.


Service:


G:  Service at Bad Albert’s was not at all what I was expecting.  Given the decor of the bar I was ready for the service to follow suit, meaning that any time I have walked into a bar and grill like that, I am lucky if I get acknowledged, let alone waited on.  We had absolutely awesome service!  Our server came over immediately, was more than pleasant, offered suggestions, checked on us repeatedly.  Overall I was extremely pleased.


B:  Totally agree.  All the servers were quite friendly and went out of their way to give superb service.  There’s  not many places in Seattle where I really feel like the wait staff care, but Bad Albert’s has obviously cornered the market on super service.


Closing Comments:


G:  Overall I loved  Bad Albert’s.  I would absolutely recommend it to my friends, family, co-workers and the random dude on the street.  I can’t wait to head back there again and try something else on their eclectic menu.


B:  I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Bad Albert’s.  I love it, love it, love it and it’s going to become one of our regular stops.  In fact, we’re going back as soon as this gets posted (really!)



Rating:


5 out of 5 - We’re coming back tomorrow.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, I read this back when you wrote it and wanted to go but promptly forgot. Damn memory! Last week I decided to catch up on reading your dining adventures and read this again. That was it. I asked my brother the food fanatic to go with me and we loved it. The atmosphere, the food and the service were fabulous! We shared their Cajun Crawfish which were spicy and lightly battered. Next I had the special, slow roasted pork with potatoes and gravy. Nothing better than potatoes and gravy if you ask me and this was no let down. Lance had their blackened fish tacos. Everything was super yummy. The waiter was attentive and fun. The dessert was to die for. I had pudding with coconut and macadamia nuts on top. I expected it to be flavored with such items but there was tons of toasted coconut and whole nuts on top. Mmmmmm. Lance had their chocolate sour cream cake and I have never had better frosting. perfect! Thanks for the recommendation. I can't wait to go back!

Gina Gallaway said...

We are so glad you guys enjoyed it! Nice to know our suggestions are taken to heart! : )