Our reviews are updated weekly.  Please check back every Friday for our latest and greatest.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

La Creperie Voila - Dessert


Name of Restaurant: La Creperie Voila

Dining Category: Dessert

Price: $

Address: 707 Pike Street Kiosk #1, Seattle (Downtown)

Phone Number: 206-447-3747

Website: www.lacreperievoila.com



Overview:

A small sidewalk shop at the base of the Washington State Trade and Convention Center, it’s easy to pass this place by unless you have some reason to be on foot. There are a few tables to sit at on the sidewalk and the only place to park nearby is a loading zone directly in front, but it’s worth the effort to get here.


Food:

B: I’m not sure what it is about crepes, but they seem to be making a resurgence here in Seattle lately. I can think of at least four places offhand, but this one is by far my favorite. Before we get into the sweet, I do need to mention that this place does offer savory crepes that would be appropriate for lunch or a light dinner, but every time I’m here I can’t help but order the sweet.


G: When I think crepes I usually think sweet, so that is always my preference we when we order one. The crepe in this picture is made up of strawberry compote, vanilla custard and whipped cream. You’ll also notice a bit of Nutella on the side, which of course I just had to add. There are many sweet choices in their menu and you can also add ice cream to any selection. One of the fun parts about this place is being able to watch them make the crepes while you wait, the skills of some of these folks are pretty impressive.


B: We’ve actually managed to make it here several times in spite of the fact that it’s actually pretty inconvenient. Luckily for us, there's never been a parking enforcement officer in the neighborhood when we commandeer the loading zone. The strawberry pictured is my favorite, but the Suzette is quite delicious as well. I have had the savory salmon, and found it not to my taste at all. The lox used didn’t go with the other flavors of the crepe, and was a disappointment. Stick with sweet, I say.



Service:

B: The people here are always attentive and friendly, and they do pay attention when you make a special request. I don’t like my crepes drowning in whipped cream, so I’m quite glad to report that if you ask for it, they generally make it happen.


Closing Comments:

G: As was mentioned before we have already eaten at La Creperie Voila several times so we undoubtedly be going there again. Although the savory choices are not done nearly as well as their sweet, it’s still a good enough reason to make a trip down there.


B: To be perfectly honest, if it was a little easier to stop off there, I'd probably have at least one a week. The location is really my only complaint. But everything else is deliciously top notch on the sweet side. Savory can be hit or miss.


Rating:


4 out of 5 - We would recommend it to a friend


1 comment:

Jase said...

Interesting. I've dined a few times at a local Creperie, eating the dinner crepes (not dessert). They were good but not great; just basic, no-frills dishes, and it sounds like your Creperie was the same. The ambiance of the local place was a large part of why I enjoyed my dining experience.